Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Iy… er… almost got robbed!!!

Yup… read the title again… if it doesn’t make sense, let me put some sense into it.

I… er… er… almost got robbed” of my new mobile phone.

The keyword though is “
almost”. Read the rest of the post for the entire story, in case you are interested in petty thefts et al.

Me, my father and my sister were returning at around 9 PM from the temple after attending a bhajan session. Okay I do attend bhajans and all… I like them… but all that can be discussed later. Nowadays, temples strictly ask you to put your mobile phones off or put them on silent mode. And being an obedient devotee, I had done just that. So when we all were returning, I had the mobile phone in my hands and was changing the profile from “silent” to “general” when suddenly this guy appears from nowhere and snatches the mobile phone from my hand and starts running…

It took a fraction of a nanosecond for me to realize that someone was actually eloping with my phone. I shout at the top of my voice the clichéd “Chor Chor” and take off after him. It must have looked like an antelope was being chased by a baby elephant. But the point of matter is that the elephant too took off like an F1 car from the starting point.

The guy was running very hard would have easily outrun me and taken away my phone, when out of nowhere, this guy slips on the road and the baby elephant pounces on his back. The telephone slips out of his hands and he tries to get up again and try to run. But how can an antelope run with a heavy bag sack on his back. My dad came running behind and picked up the phone. My sister was too surprised with the entire incident to be able to react to it.

This was followed by a mild public bashing, including my papa and me and handing over this petty thief to the police, who then had a bashing of their own. Let me not even try and describe that to you, but I will give one piece of advice. Don’t get caught by the cops on the wrong side of anything. They will smash you harder then MS Dhoni or Adam Gilchrist smashing the cricket ball. You really don’t want to see that…

Now comes the interesting part of the story after it is over. The guy revealed that he had stolen 5 or 6 mobile phones in the last two days and was never caught. He was still a petty thief as compared to some big mobile rackets that are going around this city today. But he could have eloped again if he hadn’t slipped. So lets get into flash back mode and see how he slipped…

The guy started running with the phone and managed to cross the road, when the signal that was turning onto that road went green thus sending millions (okay over exaggerating) of vehicles onto that road. This guy got ‘hadbadofied’ (I couldn’t find the English equivalent of this word… so if you are from Mumbai you sure would get it) at all the vehicles coming onto him and slipped and was caught by yours truly. Now it sure had to be something… no let me use the right word… SOMETHING… that made this guy slip or let’s say something to do wih the timing of the signal going green. It could be his speed or it could be good luck on my behalf or it could have been god’s grace or whatever that you would like to call it.

I have settled with the third because I do believe in his supernatural presence in this world. This was one incident that made my faith in him stronger than ever or else I cant find any reason to explain why someone who was as agile and good at stealing 5-6 mobiles in a couple of days get caught at this incident. I know a lot of you would like to disagree on this count, but it’s alright… you can keep your points of view to yourself. I am happy with mine. Thank you God, Thank you Dad… Without you guys catching this antelope would not have been possible for this baby elephant… Thanks again…

adios…


PS: Luckily I had the unusually heavy cover of the mobile phone put back on just the day before; otherwise it would have been broken the moment it slipped out of the thief’s hands. Another coincidence to explain that “supernatural” presence. May be… May be not…

18 comments:

abhi said...

:) good on ya maaite!

memphis said...

tere se lamba tha kya chor?

biju said...

ha ha ha.. loved the antelope-baby_elephant imagery...

Demi Goddezz said...

haha coincidence i was gonna call ya yesterday..lol...damn..i could hae given some gaali to the chor too:P

The Comic Project said...

would've been a bad phone to lose. And a very good account of the incident.

HP said...

Aah..The joys of catching a chor and then bragging about it..

Cheers,
HP

iyer education said...

abhi: cheers maaite :D

paro: ignored :P

biju: how abt squirrel followed by 3 toed sloth... does it sound good

winny: chammaila... dena chahiye tha do teen us chor ko... uska udhar hi swargwaas ho jaata

TCP: a good phone to loose and would have been lighter on my pocket though..

HP: catching and bragging is any day preferred over losing and cribbing :)

APOO said...

Why did u guys beat him up and hand him over to the police.

Better torture would be to make him sit with Bird at Happy. :)

memphis said...

i understand .. when ur cell phone is getting robbed u don’t get time to realize the height difference

Dan said...

Hey well done Eye..er

Demi Goddezz said...

No NO NO .. are uska swargwaas ho jaata tho mein phir se dukhi aatma ban jaati .. nahi nahi nahi.. that is torture....

Apoo: Kya re.. tu bird ko kyun tang karta hain re?

iyer education said...

apoo: didnt think of that earlier... shud have been a great thing to see bird discussing cosmic subconsciousness with the guy over cutting.... must have been a great sight...

paro: ah finally... realisation dawns!!!

dan: thanks man... where are you and your posts?

winny: if he is going to swarg then why are you becoming (dukhi or bhatakti)aatma? am i missing something in here?

vanilla said...

oh! must've been the pleased gods showering blessings on you or maybe it was just a lucky day.

In any case, congratulations on getting your phone back! :)

SCRIBBLEZ TO WAKEUP said...

Hey...I could picture the baby elephant and the antelope running like crazy in the crowded Mumbai. You were so energetic after a Bhajan!! Good that you didn't think it was God's indication of telling you to give the poor guy a phone and you didn't start the chase in the first place. Congrats Eye Ear!! :)...Maybe you can help many other people too!! :) Some crappy English!

iyer education said...

vanilla: gods grace it is... on a lucky day prolly :)

scribblez: i believe in god... and the message that god gave me was to chase the antelope and get the phone back :)

Lord of all Things said...

!! Our frinedly nehibourhood iyerman!!has saved the day again!!
when are u getting bravery award??


u have to come for snamana satkara sabha!

brad said...

A very good account of the episode. Kudos.

The word you were lookin' for was probably be 'panicked'. (hadbadofied)

iyer education said...

lord: thengew... it is okay with me if i get only red & white cigarettes instead of the bravery awards... and do you serve daroo at the satkara sabha?

brad: hadbadofied is an extension to plain panicking... just a lil more complicated than that :)... thengew