Friday, March 17, 2006

Songs Stations Sing!!!

Let me begin this post with a couple of lines by a Great Russian Poet Ryei Nura (seriously man, Russian sounds like English written backwards… still don’t get it… du-u-h). He says the following (translated into English for simplicity of understanding)

If there is a song for every occasion…
Why isn’t there a song for every station…

Profound words I say. And it got me thinking. This poet must be a very powerful one at that. He actually made me think. But that was not what I was thinking. I was thinking of something else. Something more serious… something more grave… something more intense… and those thoughts are what formed the basis of this post…

The lifelines of Mumbai are its trains. Mumbai & Mumbaikars survive because of the fantastic train facilities provided to them. I mean whatever said and done, how much ever you would like to crib and complain about them, you have to admit the fact that the trains running in Mumbai are sooper. Everyday (okay every working day) of my life I faithfully spend two hours (to & fro) in traveling from Andheri to Churchgate on the western railways. I admit there are people who stay farther than I do and actually travel all the way from Virar to Churchgate, but then all I can do is to speak for myself. So I dedicate this post to all the stations that I religiously pass through on my journey on the trains of Mumbai on a daily basis.

I generally travel by a slow train from my source to my destination and vice versa, unless of course it’s some kind of a holiday and the fast trains are not as jam packed as depicted here (read it, its howlarious and the author seems to have gone in hibernation). The slow train stops / halts at every station available between the source and the destination. And every time I look at the platform of the station, it feels like it is singing to me. Something that it wants to convey to me, something that it wants me to understand. But being the dodo that I am, I am sure I don’t get it. But what I can guess is the song that it could probably be singing to me. It has to be some stupid song from some stupid Hindi movie. I mean what else you would think would a thing as inanimate as a railway station would be singing for a moron like me. It has got to be some stupid song from a stupid Hindi movie. But those stations sing to me and in turn make me sing “When You Sang to Me (I wrote a blog post) – Mark Anthony”. Okay okay enough pakaoing… lets just cut the crap cake and get down to business / singing / whatever it was…

I am taking into account only the songs sung to me by random stations. To define them, the random stations are the ones, about which a song can be thought about / created. So all other stations will be ignored. Residents of these stations are requested to form a song for their respective stations.

Andheri
Andheri Raaton mein, sunsaan raahon par…
Abey kitna late kaam karke aata hai…
Saale tu duniya ka sabse bada loser hai…
(Courtesy – Title song – Shahenshah)

Dadar
Station hai ya macchi market…
Log yahan ke weird bhi hai…
Sabse ganda sabse crowded…
Dadar ka platform hai ye…
(Courtesy – Chehra Hai Chaand Khila Hai – Saagar)

Mahim
Yahan famous ek church hai… aur bahut smelly creek hai re… Mahim West…
Yahan se rick nahi hai milti… yahan se cabbie start hoti hai re… Mahim West…
.
.
Bandra se pehle… East or West, East or West… Mahim East or West…
Matunga ke baad… East or West, East or West… Mahim East or West…
(Courtesy – Maahi Ve – Kal Ho Na Ho)

Khar Road
Khar Khar Dekho… Hazaar Baar Dekho…
Khar Khar Dekho… Hazaar Baar Dekho…
Ye western line ka sabse bada… bakwaas station hai…
Khaaaaaaar Roaaaad…. Te dan Tan… Khaaaaaar Roaaaaaaad…
(Courtesy – Baar Baar Dekho – China Town)

Goregaon
Gore mera gaon bada crowded, tu gaya marauded… aake yahan re…
Us par famous milk colony, aur ek fillum city… aur kya chahiye…
(Courtesy – Gori Tera Gaaon Bada Pyaara – Chitchor)

Malad
Bol dhakkan bol tera station kaunsa?
Kahan pe tu utarega, aur mujhe seat dega…
Goregaon ke baad ka station…
Mala-D mera destination… Mala-D… Mala-D
(Courtesy – Mala D contraceptive Pills ad on Doordsarshan)

And before you begin to take your nasty / smelly shoes off and hurl at me…

My train goes zooooo… zooooo… zoooom – Salaam Namaste.

adios

7 comments:

SCRIBBLEZ TO WAKEUP said...

Hey iyer..first to start..Is there really someone called Ryei Nura . for the "ryei" part of of the name, it sounds like you just altered the words of "Iyer" and got "ryei". The station ka gaana is a super hit..And about mala-d, is the population the lowest in tht area too apart from sharing the name?? :) kick ass post u have "eye-ear". :)

IdeaSmith said...

Ah...I was wondering about this never-heard-of poet...of course, Scribblez is bang on target.

Iyer, fantastic post!! I think you deserve a felicitation from the Railway ministry now...

iyer education said...

scribblez: ryei nura is the mirror image of arun iyer... and if the populations were based on station names, then i will call all the stations mala-d, kohinoor, KS etc etc

idea: with lallooji in the ministry i dare not ask for any sort of felicitation :D

amIda1 said...

bad...very bad jokes! :)


i wonder when ppl get time to think about such stuff? is it those long boring meetings? :)

iyer education said...

am i da 1: Everyday (okay every working day) of my life I faithfully spend two hours (to & fro) in traveling from Andheri to Churchgate on the western railways. this is the source... ever tried travelling in any of em?

Lord of all Things said...

hehe all i know abt mumbai trains is that i lost one chappal in andheri and on ine bandra stan .. and then i never got on to the trains again that wa smy 1st and last xpirience with local trains ... yes and u can throw in a few dabbe walas and smelly macchi carrying ladies.. i mean fishes were smelling ..i dunno abt ladies..
this is my contribution based on my experience-
<"machli hai baansi,
baansi sey hoga ,
pet mein kuch kuch gadbad to hoga, hoga hoga hoga hoga ..
phir toilet ko dauda!!">
-courtesy-machli ki kaanti kaanti pey ghoda..

wormtongue said...

what saar... "assignmenst submitted" :| &^%&^$ my engg submissions are around the corner and the last thing i wanted was to be reminded of the millions of pages i gotta write. :P
nice stuff comrade Reyi nura ( sounds more japanese that russian :P but its neither so ..k pass)
.. and... about the post... well.. i travel from borivali to DOMBIVALI everyday :(.. ( thats 4 and half hours, there and back again) i think ill start trying to make songs for ghatkoper, thane, and kurla n all those stations as well.... cheers..