Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Blog Utilities!!!

Blogs, I must confess has become one of the most integral part of my life. I just cannot imagine a day when I don’t check certain Blogs (not to mention the comments that follow every post). Had I been disciplined in the other aspects of life (like exercise) like I am in checking for Blogs and comments, I would have been slimmer (not that I am fat… but I could drop off some excess baggage), ok no more digression from the topic…

Coming back to the topic, Blogs have become an integral part of each of the Blogger’s lives. But then there are a lot of people out there who know nothing about Blogs (but I am not complaining). It will take some time for people to come to terms with things like these. Lets take an example of any thing, lets take mobile phones… initially only a lucky few had handsets, then the people started to understand the utility, the advantages and disadvantages of mobile phones and slowly but steadily, the number of subscribers increased and now we are in such a stage of our lives, where not having a mobile is a “cool” thing and every second person has a mobile phone.

Again digression? No… I am coming to the point… all of the people who had these mobiles still lived a comfortable life earlier, not needing a mobile at all… but then came the mobile and changed everything didn’t it… everyone has a mobile phone… so what was the difference between now and then? Why did people buy mobile phones when they lived a life even without it? The reason is very simple… “A Utility Was Created”… Marketing people would like to call it “Positioning” (as they often are with jargons)… People were made to understand that “that” particular utility was missing from their lives, and mobile phones would fill in that “gap”…

Still on digression track… almost there… almost to the point… (I am very poor at making a point). Blogs are in the first phase (according to me). I guess I can foresee the Blogs at the next level (I don’t have too much of a vision thingy in me, but everything in life has exceptions). Blogs cold be used for a lot of useful purposes… and that is what this is about… “Blog Utilities

Curriculum Vitae’s

Also commonly known as Bio Data’s, Blogs can be a wonderful alternative to the bland bio-data’s of individuals. Just think about it… Apart from the text, the colors, the posts, the profile pic (yeah baby… now we are talking) can tell much more about a person than just a plain piece of paper. Lets accept one thing, the work of the HR executive (do they actually work?) who is in the process of screening and filtering individuals can get colorful and can be fun if he/she has to go through various colorful Blogs instead of going through the white papers at length (one reason why I changed my template from plain white to some “shade of grey”… does that sound like a hindi fillum line?)

Janam Kundli

First there used to be the traditional style of marriage, then tagged along love stories on roads / campuses etc, then tagged along romances over phones and then the coochie-coo lovers over messengers joined the brigade, then why should Bloggers be left out. We could have specific pundits that can take a look at a “prospective groom blog” and a “prospective bride blog” and then decide if there is a match. I guess this match would be definitely fairer than the ones as indicated by our stars. (*thinking* Whose blog should my treacherous blog be compared with… any takers here?)

Visiting Cards & Invitation Cards

Too many people today talk about reducing paper wastage, saving the environment and lots of other stuff that is not substantiated by ways of doing it. I say make visiting cards and invitation cards illegal and have them posted on Blogs. If the visiting card is too personal, then no sweat, just have your email address on the profile and the rest can be contacted through email. If your invitation card is to be viewed by only a few people, then have it posted on some archived posts… this will ensure reduction of costs for your wedding / function and only the ones who are really interested and have put in enough efforts to find this out, will attend your wedding / function.


Enough is enough… I can’t think more than that… I have already crossed the limits of my thinking (which I rarely do), but again three contributions from one guy is fair enough… now I leave the other utilities / possibilities for you to decide and contribute in the form of comments (as per Indian standards, this procedure is called “buck passing” and I have just done that)… but I would love to see Blogs being a routine part of our everyday living… wishful thinking… is it?

adios…

12 comments:

IdeaSmith said...

Pretty good ideas...the day we see these happening may not be far away. I've been coming across a lot of news about how blogging as a phenomenon is picking up interest in the corporate world, especially the marketing people. Check out this piece...http://www.buzzmachine.com/index.php/2005/08/17/dear-mr-dell/

APOO said...

yes Iyer, I agree. blogs are used for marketting, recruiting, advertising, you name it.

Microsofties talk on blogs.msdn.com, google has its own blog, SUN, IBM, everyone is jumping on. Altho the next thing prolly will be video-blogging.

Check this CV which is in flash:
http://www.paradoxware.com/alstudio/cv/en.htm

Keep your volume on!

Lord of all Things said...

i agree with the cv thing ....

abhi said...

Iyer, why do u have polka dots on ur blog?

APOO said...

Abhi: Shud I start my polka dotted speech?

iyer education said...

abhi: those are not polka dots, those are colorful "kolams"... which when translated into hindi becomes "rangoli"... they are the technical way of keeping the madrasi tradition alive

apoo: what is with the polka dotted speech...

flash news: bird claims he quit smoking and drinking "again"... please keep watching bird's comments on other blogs where he keeps on repeating the same thing over and over and over

Non-traditional non-madrasi said...

Bull....kolams are not made of huge yellow and white circles (unless you spilt the pedas into the kolam-mav)...these look like the stuff u see floating before your eyes when u've had a drink too many!

IdeaSmith said...

Yes..and I'm mighty curious about Apoorva's speech too...

iyer education said...

smithy: split personality is it? both you and non-traditional point at your blog?

i have by mistake added turmeric to kolam maav here... i am a new comer you see...

when i have a drink to many the only thing that floats right in front of me is "the bird"... its generally him whom i accompany for drinks...

APOO said...

If Bird has quit smoking, tell him I will not charge him for his PDA cover (which anyways he wont pay me!). But thats good news!

Smithy: When do you plan to come to USA? The speech needs to be seen, not only heard.

Iyer: Stop saying "Flash News". I thought it was about some chick who flashes!

APOO said...

"when i have a drink to many the only thing that floats right in front of me is "the bird"... "

So Iyer, when you are drunk, you are Bird-Watching!! (u shud do that when u r not drunk too... only different kinda Birds)

iyer education said...

apoo: you still havent got over "gen tso" have you... all you can think of is "chick" who flashes, dashes, hashes etc etc etc... bird is making another proud proclamation which i am sure will be denied by him in some godforsaken legal language... but sometime this week, on a weekday i will confirm both (smoking and drinking) habits of bird :)

and... LOL abt bird watching... kya karein yaar majboori hai... aur koi bird nahi to apna "piyu" ko hi dekhna padta hai