Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Weekender...

Nahi re, this post has got nothing to do with the apparel brand… oh by the way does “Weekender” exist today?... I have no goddamn idea if it does… but again I said this post was no way related to that brand… it is related to my time spent over this weekend…

First things first… Why was this weekend special? Coz it was a tad longer than the normal ones, we had Saturday & Sunday off and Monday was independence day… so everybody had plans to optimally utilize this extra day off… so did I…

Not that the plan was a genius brainchild that I had devised (which I never do)… my plan was to tag along with my family to a resort at Madh Island. We were accompanied by two other families (My Uncle and Aunt & their families). My aunt devised this plan, as she got the resort for a couple of days from her company for free… So I decided to be a part of this huge family get together for 3 days… (initially I decided to opt out of it… but then finally agreed to spend some “quality” time with my family and relatives)…

So off we went on Saturday evening… In India, we generally take the name of Lord Ganesha before we do anything… but on that day we left out of our houses in excitement and forgot to take the name of Lord Ganesha… and something had to go wrong… (I used lord Ganesha as an excuse coz I cant take the blame every time)… we went about the place in a roundabout way that took us three hours to reach made worse by clogged traffic, which could have been done in ½ an hour… but then you see, it was lord Ganesha’s wish to do so… and so did we :-(

Reached the resort at Madh Island, and it was actually a company cottage and not a resort (sometimes definitions do matter… I was all set for a resort for some eye soothing view around the pool of the “alleged” resort… and I get a cottage that would be occupied by just our family). We were about 11 people when we set out for this place and luckily all 11 managed to get to the place… so the elders did a luggage count followed by head count to make sure everything was in place, that too in order of priority :-)…

The composition of 11 (arey people re baba… not luggage) was 6 elders (between 45 and 60… NO!! I don’t fall into that category)… 4 kids (between 9 and 15)… and me (NO!! I won’t reveal my age)… the sad part was I was alone (that actually could be the happiest part for the rest of the people there) (the saddest part was I didn’t get to see the eye soothing view in and around the pool of the ‘alleged’ resort…)

The night began as any other Saturday night, with booze flowing… but the difference was that it was flowing between the uncles and my dad… I was kept out of it… no booze for me… sob sob… I could see it right in front of me, but couldn’t do anything about it… reminded me of the funny quote, “haath ko aaya… muh na lagaa”… believe me, it didn’t feel funny then… right now as I am typing it, it feels funny… and I had to suffice myself with some dinner and was off to sleep…

Sunday, I thought would be a good day for me… anything compared to last night would have been good for me… but then it wasn’t destined to be that way… (Guess Lord Ganesha got a bit too angry…)… the beach was right in front of the cottage, but we couldn’t go there… and if at all we went there we couldn’t take bath there… coz it had all sorts of currents in it… it also had quicksands… again it was “there right in front of me… but of no use…”. The day too passed off quite quickly… I don’t know how quickly coz I was dozing for the better part of the day…

Along came night, and came daru again… this time the uncles & dad had got more booze than they had last night… I thought to myself “finally something wise has dawned upon the elders… they have taken my plight into consideration and ordered some more for me…” only to realize that the extra daru was for extra capacity that they had developed due to the drinks last night… and I was kept out of that ‘session’ too… The sessions started off on a serious note with discussions on independence and all, but by the time the session ended, everyone was dancing to the tunes of Daler Mehendi… what more… even the neighbours who had taken the adjoining cottage had joined in the celebrations… but the bottom line was that I was kept out of the whole tullee session…

Come Independence day and there were no flag hoisting ceremonies in the cottage there… it just went off like a lazy holiday with everyone either nurturing a hangover or watching Malayalam movies (my relatives prefer Malayalam movies to Hindi / English Movies)… followed by lunch and packing our baggages back and were on our way back to our cozy homes…

By now you guys must have felt that I had a terrible time, thanks to the depiction above. But here is the catch… though I didn’t have a good time there, I still managed to have a great time (now this guy must be a nutcase… is what you guys must be thinking)… But seriously… I had a good time, not myself, but I had a good time through my parents, my sister, my relatives… They all had a good time, which in turn makes me have a great time… Doesn’t it happen so often in our lives… sometimes we live our lives through the ones that we care for… I too had a good time seeing my near and dear having a great time…

Don’t we feel so out of the place sometimes and yet enjoy the fact that we are out there just because the ones that we care are having a good time… doesn’t this happen too often… Don’t guys go out for mushy movies because their girl friends / wives / fiancés have a ball watching those mushy / romantic movies? Don’t parents go to stupid parks with their kids, knowing fully that they themselves won’t have any fun there, but its worthwhile seeing the kid struggling with the swing or the slide… and eventually making it … I had that similar feeling… and believe me… I will cherish it for ages to come…

adios…

12 comments:

abhi said...

seems like good fun iyerii ... proud of ya ...

We (farro, bird, mask, anna n moi) on the other hand, made a trip to Tian and had INR 2500 worth of free booze (tequilla, antiquity et al). Apparently the Tian guys only billed us for the food n completely slipped out the booze bill.

The best part though was that Bird had beer thinking the other drinks would be expensive ... he still hasn't gotten over this ...

nor do we intend to let him ....

iyer education said...

abhi: are you taunting me?

what the heck if you did... you had fun and so did i... wat say...CT tonight?...

bird n alap: are you reading this?

abhi said...

I don't taunt ... I fcuk people straight out ... no questions asked ... no hidden jingbang

If you're speaking bout my first line, i truly meant the first line bro ... and the rest of it was plain trivia to let loose on Bird

Took mom n dad to Goa Portuguesa/ Culture Curry yesterday ... you have to go there once with ur folks dude ... its divine ... and for moi, its gonna be 3 months before i get good food ... i have to eat most of my own stuff ...

iyer education said...

abhi:
bhaaaaaaaaai {*bhai wala hug*}

Bird said...

Shit!!! Free booze & all i drank was 3 beers...free booze & i drink beer. You guys dont have to remind me. Here onwards i drink the best booze even if i dont have money to buy any. Its only Black Label from now on.

Bird said...

Sorry I forgot. I am quitting booze guys.

KJ said...

looks like abhi is rubbing salt on rumpelstiltskin's wounds.

yes, sometimes we are very happy and content with life, when people whom we love are happy...

KJ

iyer education said...

kj: abhi is my bro... he doesnt rub salt on my wounds... he feeds alcohol to makes the wound go numb... and thats what i like... alcohol in any way or form is accepted :)

Ravi Nambiar said...

Chottey,
Great, that was really good on your part.
Using wisdom means, doing the right thing, at the right place, the right time. Great job dost...

APOO said...

Abhi: Dont worry. When u come to Baltimore, I shall cook some homely food for ya. Also I have done research and know the best places for drinks around here. We'll try to see if we can get those free!

Bird: U suck!

Abhi again: Did Anna booze too? If yes... I donno.... I'll do something weird! Also, is Mask married? (secretly)

Bird: Once again, u suck!

IdeaSmith said...

Heartfelt sympathies...I haven't seen too many Mallu movies but this brings back rather vivid memories of "SUNNNN TV yin tamizh malai" and the horrors that pass for entertainment...

Madame Mahima said...

aww i'm glad you had fun (despite not having any booze...i know how that feels!)

you're the sorta guy people would just LOVE to bully into being the designated driver
=D
poor rumpy!