Thursday, July 28, 2005

Barsaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat Ki Ek Raat

I couldn’t find a better fitting title to my post. For people who know nothing about Hindi, the title of the post translated into English is “A Raiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny Night”. Anyway, it rained cats and dogs in Mumbai last night. I think “cats and dogs” is too small to describe this rainfall. It should actually have been it has been raining “blue whales and grizzlies” or “hippos and rhinos” or “elephants and silverbacks” or “t-rex and stegy”… take your pick…

I don’t know how Noah managed it for 40 days (not to mention 40 nights) with the animals on an ark… So now you get to know where the script of the movie “40 days and 40 nights” comes from… Anyhow, getting back to the topic, it has been raining continuously in areas in Mumbai for the last 36 hrs and life has come to a stand still. It’s not just a deluge… It’s an extra-super-hyper deluge. Trains, buses, cars, cycles, bikes and human beings all submerged according to their respective height. Till the latest reports this deluge has claimed around 104 lives already and coastal areas in Mumbai and the interiors of Maharashtra have been red alerted.

To just give you an example of how life came to a stand-still here in Mumbai, let me say that my mom took 16 hours to get home that normally takes about 15 mins to ½ hour. My sis got stuck up at some goddamn place for hours together and took 25 odd hours to get home that generally takes an hour or 2 at max or so. All my friends, let me assume, coz I haven’t spoken to each and every one of them didn’t leave the cozy environment of the office, just like me. I wish that every person on this blogosphere who resides in Mumbai and around Maharashtra is safe and sound.

I was in the office for 36 odd hours beginning Tuesday morning and decided to go home after it briefly stopped raining. There are still people on the central line who have got stuck up at CST station and there is no way to get back home for them.

I just can’t think of what could have happened in Gujarat when it was raining for more than 100 hours. Just can’t think of the probable repercussions out there. I even can’t think of what would be happening in “Chirapunji” in Assam, where this type of rainfall is common… All that I can think of right now is that I am here safe at my place, writing this post and I am thankful to god and the rain god for that.

adios…

PS 1: I saw Mr Srinivasan Jain of NDTV, using a plane to cover the flooded Mumbai areas and guess what he showed on TV. The flooded airport and the flooded “JUHU RAILWAY STATION”… can anyone please tell me where’s that (did I hear, men don’t like asking for directions)

PS 2: Abhi, tell me seriously, how many freaking donkeys you got married… or is Pals around here in India?

5 comments:

APOO said...

Couldnt be Pals. He is busy getting cyclones into florida. Unless his effect has spread across continents. Glad to know you are safe.

IdeaSmith said...

Apparantly India begins and ends at New Delhi for NDTV. They reported that "all was fine and people were travelling as usual"...I bet he visited Churchgate station and got off at Marine Lines...South Mumbai is all that exists for these guys.

Hope you and your family managed to get home safe finally.

PimpPia said...

i must say that all of us have great opinions about any stuff..just stoppin by..

PIA

Dan said...

Must be due to the sensex. It has reached great heights and must have pricked some clouds to download on Mumbai. Hope everyone is safe.

Debalina said...

the post title sounds like some 3rd grade hindi movie though !!

"barsat ki ek raat"
***ing Arun, cats,dogs,blue whales, etc and ofcourse the natural rain showers.