Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Listen To Your Inner “Sole”

Everybody has a soul (unless you are Brendan Fraser and have sold yours to Liz Hurley) and you are expected to listen to it, consciously, unconsciously or sub-consciously. But I have faced a lot of embarrassment by not listening to my “Inner Sole”… Surprised? Read Along…

A couple of days ago, when I was getting my shoes polished, the guy told me that my shoes were loose and I should have an inner sole to my shoes that would help my shoes fit properly. I thought to myself, “Hell I have been wearing this shoe for the last x years and I have never felt anything like that and this guy comes up to me asking me to add inner soles… probably this guy wants to make money out of selling those inner soles to me… balls to this guy, I am not putting the soles right now…”. And I paid for the polish and resumed my life.

Today, I reached Andheri Station, 10 minutes early, so that I could hop onto the train and get a window seat. I see the train in striking distance (don’t think too much, I am still on the platform), and as soon as I get a chance, I jump into the train. Then some heaven sent dickhead stepped on my right shoe on the door, I step ahead and the shoe comes off. What’s worst is that the shoe sneaks onto the tracks from the space between the door and the platform. (Finally I realized, the shoe was actually loose)

I couldn’t proceed with my journey (on one shoe for sure) so I get down from the train(sigh I lost my window seat that was lying empty right in front of me). Neither could I retrieve the fallen shoe, as the train was “parked” right over it (and I am not as slim as paro and mannu to slide through the gap). So all I could do was to wait for the train to leave and I had to wait with two legs, one shoe and one exposed sock.

I was limping, with one leg longer than the other. People started noticing my “slender and exposed” leg. I gushed and felt shy (actually embarrassed). Then I took shelter in a corner, right under the footsteps of the bridge (I am short enough to fit into that place). Then some heavenly thought came over me and I posed as “Lord Krishna”, with my “no shoe” leg crossed over the one with the shoe and covered my exposed leg with my bag. I felt enlightened, as if I could feel my inner “soul” (or sole or whatever). The only thing missing was a flute (I had a lot of gopikas in the form of all the crowd from the ladies compartment) and I could actually play “Raas Leela” at Andheri Station. Sigh…I had to reach office on time…

The train departed, the next train was on its way… I jumped onto the tracks, took my shoe (surprisingly alive), got back to the platform and the first thing I did was go back to the same cobbler and buy a new pair of “inner soles”. Are haan, I even managed to get a window seat in the next train (hehe)… Now there is only one common thing between me and my shoes, we both have enlightened “souls” (soles)…

adios...

5 comments:

Bird said...

I always knew railway stations were spiritual places. I have tried very hard to explain this to people only to be laughed at. And now I have someone who has experienced it. I am no more the "sole" believer.

abhi said...

Speaking of souls (or its phonetically sounding body-double) I recollected this quote from Woody Allen,

"I was thrown out of college for cheating in my metaphysics exam; I was apparently looking into the soul of another boy"

infected said...

Arun, you cheap chickenfeed. Buy yourself new shoes.

iyer education said...

infected love: How about revamping trains in mumbai... make it overhead trains... its a much cheaper option than buying a new set of shoes :)

IdeaSmith said...

So thats who the bhajan groups in the train are chanting to...ahh, realisation dawns.